Mmmm… fudge. I bet you didn’t know there was an entire day to honor penuche fudge! Or maybe you’re a huge fudge fan and you’re already all over this. Either way, here’s a recipe to help you celebrate the day and as always, CouponCactus.com can help you save on the things you need to get it done. (Recipe courtesy of Stephanie Stiavetti)
This perfect penuche fudge recipe is buttery, creamy, and sweet. Walnuts and brown sugar add a little nutty crunch to the rich caramel flavor. Delicious. Yield: 1 8×8-inch pan of penuche
- 2½ cups brown sugar
- 2½ cups white sugar
- 1¼ cup whole milk or half and half
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup toasted, finely chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- Line an 8×8-inch baking pan with parchment, leaving 2-inches overhang on two opposing sides. Make sure to fold the paper into the corners of the pan.
- In a heavy saucepan over medium-low flame, heat brown sugar, white sugar, milk, butter, and salt to 236°F while stirring constantly. This should take 20-25 minutes.
- Pour penuche into the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on medium for 2-4 minutes, or until fudge is thick and smooth. Lower speed to low, add vanilla extract and chopped nuts.
- Using a spatula greased with butter, spread penuche fudge into lined pan, smoothing out the top. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before cutting. If refrigerated, penuche will keep in a sealed container for up to a week. For maximum freshness, don’t cut until ready to serve.
Be sure to send us pictures of your fudge! Better yet, send us some fudge!
Sure, it’s nice in the summer to have a healthy glow. However, it’s important to take safety precautions when you’re out in the sun. One in five Americans will develop some form of skin cancer at some point in their lifetime. So, when you take care of your skin, you’re not only protecting yourself from the big “c,” but also, you’re saving on the costs of repairing the damage later. For instance, one chemical peel to help repair sun damage on your face can range from $1,000 – $1,500.
So while we all know the things that we should be doing when we’re out and about in the summer, it doesn’t hurt to review it all one more time in the name of safety.
- SPF, SPF, SPF. Did we mention SPF? It’s a simple and inexpensive way to keep your skin happy in the sunlight. Plus, if you shop for your sunblock through Coupon Cactus, you’ll earn cash back on those good skin choices. Apply it 15 minutes before you go out and use enough so that it takes a minute to rub in. Rule of thumb? Use enough to fill a shot glass.
- Throw on UV protected sunglasses. If your eyes are overexposed to UV rays, you’re upping your chances of getting cataracts, something that 20 million Americans over 40 are dealing with.
- Don’t forget your head. If you’ve got a full head of hair, you probably don’t even think twice about the sun hitting your head. But if you’re going to be outside for prolonged periods of time, toss on a hat.
- Pucker up! Your lips need attention too. Plenty of lip glosses, lip balms, and lip sticks come with an SPF in them. Choose those.
If you’re in a pinch and have coconut oil around the house, it has a natural SPF of 4. Whether for cosmetic or health reasons, though, it’s worth taking the time to practice safe sunning.